Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Graceland, Memphis, Tenn

We arrived in Memphis around nine in the morning. guided by our new Garmin named Bullier. We found our campground on Elvis Presley BLVD. It was right behind a fried chicken place and a used car lot on a busy low income part of town with a housing project behind us. Which is where Graceland is in Memphis. Elvis must be rolling over in his grave to see what happened to the neighborhood where he bought Graceland. At the time he bought it, it was in the country with nothing around it. He bought the mansion from a rich doctor.

Graceland is such a beautiful place and seems so out of its element with all the business' and stuff that has grown around it due to his death.

The Graceland experience once inside was wonderful. To see how he decorated the place and the costumes and awards, and just his lifestyle when relaxing at home was awesome. The interviews playing and his concerts on televisions all over bought Elvis back to life for a small moment in time for me.

I loved Elvis my whole life. When I was married I had a big poster of Elvis over my television. I'm sure my kids remember that. I had a photo of our living room somewhere with his picture over TV but I don't know what happened to it.

Anyhow, while in his mansion Elvis was there alive and well for me. His mediation Garden where he, his mother, father and grandmother are laid to rest was so peaceful and beautiful.

I really enjoyed spending a some time with the King. I'm just so sorry his neighborhood has gone downhill. I know Elvis has left the building to live in the hearts of all of his fans.

No comments: